Pages

1.23.2012

Meatless Monday: Speedy Vegan Black Bean Soup for Two

Here in Vermont it is raining. That's right, it's January and it's raining. Cold, disgusting rain. My husband is cranky because it isn't snowing, the 16 month old has the chickenpox, I'm starting to feel like my pregnant belly leads me everywhere I go, and the dog is out of sorts because he ate a jalapeno that I accidentally dropped on the floor. So tonight called for a quick comfort meal. This recipe can please almost anyone. The spices give the soup a fantastic flavor. The recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled but this small version is what I make when we need a quick dinner and I don't want to add to the leftovers piling up in our fridge. I like to serve this with jalapeno boats.



Vegan Black Bean Soup
(Serves 2)

2 stalks celery, diced
1 large carrot, peeled & diced
1 garlic clove, diced
1 small piece ginger (the size of your garlic clove), peeled & diced
1 15 oz can black beans
2 cups veggie stock
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1-2 TBS oil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
a pinch of cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. Dice vegetables. I press the garlic & ginger directly into the pan with a garlic press. This way the juices also run into the pan.

2. Saute the vegetables on low for about 5 minutes. Stir to make sure they cook evenly. 

3. Add spices to pan. Stir. Add black beans, tomato sauce & stock. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.


4. Process the soup in food processor or blender until smooth. Pour into pan to reheat if necessary. 


Enjoy with fresh bread or jalapeno poppers. This recipe makes a hearty serving with seconds for one person or 2 decent size servings with a side for 2. My picture shows the soup with sour cream on top- for vegans omit sour cream. Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment