Pages

1.25.2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

I've created a monster. Last week after toying around with granola bar recipes I found myself in our local discount store. A box of Cocoa Krispies for $1.69 and a bag of Limited Edition Nestle Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels called my name and a few days (and half the bag of morsels later) I found myself making more granola bars. They should be called candy bars but calling them granola bars makes me feel better about how many I've eaten. After I took the picture for this post, I ate my subjects.


Mint Chocolate Chip Bars
(makes 24 skinny bars, I cut them on the chunky side making 18)

3 cups Cocoa Krispies
1 cup quick oats
1/2 bag Nestle Mint Chocolate Morsels (5 oz) - If you can't find the morsels you could chop up Andes candy or find another minty substitute. Keep them in the fridge until you're ready to use them. It helps them keep their form in the bar and not melt into goo.
1/4 cup butter
4 TBS Fluff (I eyeballed it. Spraying the spoon with cooking spray helps the fluff to slide off a little better.)

1. Combine Cocoa Krispies & oats in a mixing bowl. 

2. In a small pan, melt butter and add Fluff in. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until smooth. While Fluff & butter are cooking, cover a cookie sheet with tinfoil & spray with cooking spray. 




3. Pour Fluff mixture into dry ingredients and mix until they all look sticky. Add mint chips from the fridge and stir just long enough to mix. 




4. Spread mixture evenly over cookie sheet and cover with a sheet of waxed paper. Press down hard thru the wax paper to compact the mixture into an even, flat layer of delicious-ness. Put the cookie sheet in the fridge for an hour. After one hour take out & cut into desired number of bars. I store my bars in the fridge because I like the way they taste cold. (Please note: I didn't take pictures of these steps so I am including ones I took for my other granola bar recipe. The bars did not magically change colors!) 





Enjoy & try not to eat all in one sitting! 








2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Fluff is a wonderful marshmallow spread. Everytime I'm pregnant I find myself craving peanut butter fluff sandwiches. It is also awesome dropped by the spoonful into hot chocolate. It seems to be most popular in the Northeast. When I lived in San Antonio I had trouble finding it!

      Delete