Pages

2.12.2012

Cranberry Chocolate Chip Scones


I almost called this recipe "Pregnant Lady Scones" because it was born out of a craving. I really wanted goat cheese scones. I make them sometimes and they're light and fluffy and delectable. But alas, no goat cheese in our house and it was breakfast time. So I pulled some cream cheese out of the fridge. Next up, what was breakfast-y? I found some dried cranberries in a drawer. By the time I had mixed the dough I had  "needed" lemon, cornmeal & at the last minute I tossed in some chocolate chips. They came out super yummy so enjoy!

Note: In my "cravings cloud" I failed to take pictures of the early process. Forgive my hazy mind....

Cranberry Chocolate Chip Scones (makes 12)

1 1/4 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup buttermilk (or whole milk) (For fluffier scones take out of the fridge early and let it warm up)
1 egg
2 TBS butter
4 oz cream cheese
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS lemon juice
2 TBS sugar
1 TBS lemon zest (optional)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil & spray with cooking spray.

2. Cream butter, cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice & lemon zest in a mixer. Add in cornmeal & flour. Mix until the dough clumps and looks like grainy wet sand.

3. Add in egg, buttermilk, salt, and baking powder and mix until smooth. Don't overmix. Overmixing results in dense scones.

4. Add cranberries and chocolate chips if using them.


5. Scoop 1/3 of the dough onto a floured surface. 


Squash down with your hands so that it makes a round about an inch thick. Flip it once so that both sides are floured. 



Cut into quarters. 


Place on prepared cookie sheet.


Repeat until you have 12 scones. Bake at 350 for 14 minutes. Pull out of the oven and enjoy warm or wait for them to cool. Yum! Like most scones these taste best the day they're baked. They increase in denseness for each day they're stored. 


No comments:

Post a Comment