Pages

2.17.2012

Roasted Bacon & Cabbage with Baked Eggs

I admit it, I missed the memo. I didn't know today was National Cabbage Day. It is just a coincidence that I made roasted cabbage last night and am writing about it today. Talk about good timing! I like cabbage because it is cheap. At roughly 59 cents a pound a little goes a long way, and roasting it takes the sharp edge off and turns it into a whole new vegetable. As for the addition of bacon, I realized yesterday that I had an unopened package of bacon from my grocery shopping on the 5th and couldn't believe we'd gone that long without bacon! This recipe minus the eggs also makes a great side dish for meat but is incredibly filling as a meal with eggs.



Roasted Bacon & Cabbage with Eggs
(serves 4) (Total Cost $3.11 or .78/person)

1.5 lb head of cabbage .93
3 slices of bacon (15 slices/pack @ 3.89 = .26/slice) .78
2 TBS olive oil
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 TBS buttermilk (or cream/milk) (1 TBS=1/2 oz, 32 oz/qt, buttermilk 1.89/qt= .06/oz) .12
8 eggs (2.95 per 18= .16/each) 1.28

1. Preheat oven to 400. Peel off the outer leaves on the cabbage and discard. Core the cabbage.


2. Cut into quarters & shred in food processor or using grater. 


3. Spread the cabbage onto a sprayed cookie sheet. Drizzle with 2 TBS olive oil & sprinkle with 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt. I then used a butter knife to move the cabbage around a bit so that it all got a bit of oil and salt. 


4. Cut three slices of bacon into small strips and lay all over the cabbage. 


Put in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, you'll turn it down to 375 when you put the eggs in.

5. Spray 4 ramekins with cooking spray. Put 1 TBS of buttermilk (or milk/cream) into the bottom of each. Crack 2 eggs into each & sprinkle with salt and pepper. I do a basil baked egg in this post- you can easily get creative and add all kinds of cheeses and herbs but I just like plain baked eggs with cabbage. 
You want to put these in the oven when the cabbage has 7-10 minutes left. Put them in at 10 minutes if you want the yolk to be set and put them in at 7 if you want the yolk to be a little runny. Turn the oven down to 375 when you put the eggs in.

6. Serve the eggs on top of the cabbage and enjoy. Happy National Cabbage Day!
(I swear I took a pretty picture and for some reason couldn't locate it this morning. So here is a picture of the roasted cabbage minus the baked egg.) 




No comments:

Post a Comment