Pages

2.25.2012

Veggie-fied Meatloaf "Cupcakes"

Mmm, yum. 



For a self-proclaimed "meatloaf-hater" this is now my second meatloaf recipe I'm posting. You can find the 1st one here. As a Pinterest addict (Find me on Pinterest!) I've seen my share of meatloaf cupcake recipes floating around. I saw a few examples that involved wrapping the cupcakes in bacon. I've got a bacon loving husband and I didn't have any foil cupcake liners so I decided it'd be a good idea. In the end result, I'm not sure the wrapped bacon added a ton to the texture of the cupcake but the whole cupcake was infused with bacon flavor from the drippings that they were cooked in. Next time I may finely chop the bacon and work it into the meat. I didn't use any breadcrumbs or egg. These are super simple to make and hide secret servings of veggies. They were a huge hit and I think they'll be on my son's birthday menu in March when he turns 8.

Veggie-fied Meatloaf Cupcakes
(Makes 12 cupcakes- recipe is easily doubled)

12 slices bacon
3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 lb ground beef
2 carrots, shredded
1.5 oz shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt (for meatloaf)
1/2 tsp pepper
8 oz frozen spinach
1 TBS butter
1/2 tsp salt (for "frosting")
1/2 tsp pepper (for "frosting")

1. Preheat oven to 350. Start a pot of water boiling on the stovetop & put the potato chunks in it.

2. Curl the bacon around in the muffin cups and put them into the oven for about 7-10 minutes to cook a bit.

I think it may be time for a new muffin tin. This one's looking haggard.
3. While the bacon is cooking shred your carrots and cheese. Mix the ground beef with the spices.


Add the shredded carrots and cheese.  I like to slip veggies into meals. Ha-ha secret carrots!


Mix in well with your hands.



4. Form it into meatballs & press down into the center of the bacon curls in the pan. Leave any drippings that the bacon has shed. It will infuse the meatloaf with an awesome bacon flavor and help to make the bottoms crispy. 


Put into 350 degree oven and bake for 20 minutes.

5. When your potatoes are cooked turn off the burner but leave the potatoes in hot water to keep them warm. You want to make the whipped potato "frosting" when the cupcakes are 5 minutes away from being ready. You'll want to cook the frozen spinach at this point. I steamed it in the microwave. When it comes out I leave the hot water in the container until it's time to puree it. 

6. When your cupcakes have 5 minutes left in the oven strain the water off of the potatoes and the spinach and put them in the food processor with the metal blade attachment. 


Add 1 TBS butter, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Whip until smooth. You won't need to add any milk or cream because the water content of the spinach makes the puree really smooth. 



7. Pull the cupcakes out of the oven. Now you get to choose- do you want them to be fancy or not? If you want them to be fancy spoon the potato spinach puree into a piping tube & pipe it onto the top of the cupcakes. If you're not feeling fussy (or no one but your family is going to see them) just spread a dollop on top of each one. Serve any extra puree on the side or save for another night. Enjoy!

The front one was dolloped, the rear one was piped on. I think they both look (and taste) yummy!




No comments:

Post a Comment