Pages

3.19.2012

Farm Pie


I really don't know what to call this recipe other than Farm Pie. It is quick, you can have it on the table in less than 25 minutes. It's cheap, using just 4 main ingredients, oil & seasonings and you can mix it up depending on what you have on hand. It's not quite a quiche, it's not a baked egg, it's not really even a pie but it's delicious. I tend to make it often during the summer when we have an abundance of CSA veggies on hand.

Farm Pie (recipe is $3.34, .84/serving)
(serves 4)

3 small potatoes .50 (estimate- recently got 5 lb bag for $3.99 and these were small ones)
8 oz peas (canned or frozen) (I used frozen from our CSA) 1.00
6 eggs (I traded for mine at a food swap but at the store I buy 18 for 2.95 which is .16/ea) .96
4 oz cheese (I used Cabot Muenster purchased at Cheese Traders for $3.49/lb = .22/oz) .88
2 TBS olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt (split)
1/4 tsp pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350. Take out a pie pan and spray with cooking spray. Peel the potatoes and grate them. I use the Cuisinart to do this step. In a saute pan heat the olive oil and toss in the shredded potatoes. Add the paprika and 1/2 tsp of salt and stir with spatula to mix in. Saute until they start to turn golden brown. You want them to have some color but not cook all the way through. Spread them in the bottom of the pie pan.



2. I steamed my peas in the microwave in a neat Pampered Chef gadget that my grandma gave me. If your peas are canned you won't need to heat them at all. You just need to slightly thaw frozen peas. You could even soak them in hot water for a few minutes while doing the potatoes to take the edge off. Toss the peas through the Cuisinart to grate up too if desired. I think they're easier to spread this way and it makes the end result tastier. Spread the peas on top of the potatoes in the pie pan. 



3. Crack 6 eggs and whisk to mix. I did this right in the cooled off saute pan that I had cooked the potatoes in. I'm not a fan of dishes so I like to use as few as possible. Add in the pepper and the remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Pour the egg over the peas & potatoes in the pie pan. 



4. Shred the cheese. You can use whatever type you have on hand. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the eggs in the pie pan. Put into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. 



Enjoy, the potatoes form a crust and the peas taste really fresh with the eggs. I've made versions of this using green beans and carrots, beets and greens, and sweet potatoes and edamame. They all come out awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment