Pages

3.13.2012

Pear Sandwich with Balsamic Sauce & Pistachio Ricotta Spread

Some nights my husband and I wait until "the screamer" has gone to bed to eat. Then we can sit down and have a quiet meal without anyone pointing and grunting for a bite. These meals are usually either ones I can whip up quickly while he's upstairs rocking her and putting her to sleep or ones that have been slow cooking all evening. Last night's meal fell in the quick category. This sandwich is ones that I do quick variations off of all year- in the summer roasted beets that I keep in the fridge replace the pears, in the fall it's apples. Pears were on sale at the supermarket for 99 cents/lb when I shopped last so about 4 pounds of them are currently living in my fridge. When you go shopping as infrequently as I do you learn to buy fruit and vegetable items that store well.

Pear Sandwiches with Pistachio Ricotta Spread and Balsamic Reduction ($3.49/recipe, 1.75 per person)
(serves 2)

slices of fresh bread or baguette (we used 3/4 a loaf of homemade bread which I make for 53 cents a loaf) .40
2 pears (.99/lb breaks down to .44/pear) .88
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar (another bulk item- I love bulk! Roughly 5.99/lb = .37/oz) .74
1 TBS honey (I buy local honey in bulk at City Market for $4.99/lb. A pound of honey is 16oz by weight, but 10.67 fluid oz so it's .47/oz, 1 TBS is .5 fluid oz) .24
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp thyme
4 oz ricotta cheese ($3.89 for 32 oz = .12/oz) .48
1 oz chopped pistachios (I've had these for awhile- bought in bulk they cost roughly $11.99/lb, so .75/oz) .75
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper


 1. Peel & thinly slice the pears.
 2. In a small saucepan gently heat the balsamic vinegar to bubbling (about 5 minutes). Gently tilt the pan around so that it doesn't scorch. It is important to do this over low heat. Using high heat will fill the house with an acrid nose-clearing stench. Once the balsamic vinegar is bubbling add 1 TBS of honey, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp thyme and gently stir. A rubber spatula is best. Turn it all the way down to the lowest setting and let it continue to reduce for about 10 more minutes while you finish everything else.

3. Chop 1 oz of pistachios finely.

Measure out 4 oz of ricotta. Because of ricotta's moisture content standard cup measures don't always work. I recommend measuring on a food scale if possible. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Mix. 


Add in the chopped pistachios and mix them in.


Slice your bread. I had to make pretty hearty slices because the bread was still hot out of the oven. Turn of the balsamic reduction to give it a moment to cool. 


4. Time to build your sandwich! Spread the bread with some ricotta.


Layer on some pears. I like 2 layers.


Drizzle with some balsamic reduction. 


And top with another piece of ricotta spread bread if desired.


Yummy. Now pretend you're on a picnic with your husband and not in your toy strewn living room. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment