Pages

9.03.2012

When Potty Training Gets You Down, Make Oven S'mores

Ahh, potty training. It's happening in our house and it's actually been going well. The toddler announces "Potty" and we stop whatever we're doing to hustle her off to the bathroom. With any luck she goes pee-pee on the potty (occasionally we catch her squatting in the hall on the way) and we clap (no, my 15 year old self did not see this coming). Then I walked into Target to buy "big girl" underwear and realized that all the "panties" have ruffles and glitter and decor on them. My mind started .... I want to say going in circles but it was more like an elf on a pogo stick eating cotton candy. Craziness. I don't want to get my daughter underwear that she wants to show to people because it's pretty! She turned two a week ago- this is not the age to start teaching her that underwear needs to be covered in glitter, lace, and Tinkerbell. And I certainly don't need her thinking it's to show off. So I stood there and deliberated and in the end against my usual thrifty behavior I bought her a pack of boys briefs. It came with half the amount of underwear and cost twice as much but at least I know that if she shows it it's because of her pride in the accomplishment of potty training and not because she has a fairy princess plastered on her behind.

Thinking about her wanting to show off her behind got me a little stressed out so I went home and made oven s'mores. We always have the supplies on hand and after some experimentation I've found that the inside ones taste pretty darn good in a pinch. They soothe a mother's frazzled soul :)

Oven S'mores
(makes 6- don't share....)

6 graham crackers
6 marshmallows
1 bar of chocolate (Hershey's)
a few teaspoons of Nutella
parchment paper

1. Heat oven to 375. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Break the graham crackers in half (set aside half) and put them on the parchment paper. Take a marshmallow and put a little schmear of Nutella on it (it helps the marshmallow stay on the cracker and it tastes yummy). Repeat.



2. Bake for 4-7 minutes. Watch closely for the marshmallows to poof up. If you let them cook for too long the graham cracker can burn.



3. Pull out of the oven and top each with 3 squares of chocolate.



4. Eat while researching convents you can send your daughter to. Enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. Um yes... all of these things. I just bought K's online from Amazon, no frills, strips/solids. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete